I couldn’t wait to sew my new patches on my motorcycle jacket and hoodie. Holy crap does the machine make it easier than by hand.
I’ve been noticing that my “angry” persona doesn’t always come out in my quilting stories. Give it time, I’m sure. But some stuff I ordered from VNM arrived today.
i’m excited to sew my new patches to my motorcycle jacket;)
I have a coworker, let’s call him “Tom”. Tom and I like to tease each other. It can get pretty rude;) And lately, he’s been busting my balls about my baby blanket quilting projects. While wearing a bright pink shirt. Maybe you see where this is going… Anyway, I have this interesting fabric that I think was called “bubble minky” – super soft, but textured, and the texture looks just like truncated domes. Tom HATES truncated domes (long story). So I made him a purse.
I literally busted this out in about 25min. My first ever “purse”. I’ve never been prouder.
Tom likes it too;)
It’s really kind of amazing what bothers us and what doesn’t. I’ll sit out in the garage, gear oil dripping from my elbows, an open can of acetone next to me, spraying brake cleaner at a part and not even wrinkle my nose. But if the wife uses hair spray within 20′ of me, or applies the tiniest bit of perfume, suddenly I’m gagging and gasping for breath. Turns out it goes both ways;) I use spray adhesive to hold my applique pieces down and was applying it on the dining room table when the wife just about passed out in the kitchen. A few open windows and harsh words later and all was well, but I got a secret chuckle in.
Karma’s a bitch. That same adhesive, which says will come out in the washing machine, is a dirty fucking liar. I must have gotten a bit of over spray on the field fabric, and then some dirt stuck to the fabric. I wasn’t worried, it’ll wash out! WRONG. Time for the solvents. I did some testing on scraps with rubbing alcohol and bing-bang-boom, the stain is gone, but it was very irritating. The only good thing is that it gave me the time to reflect and decide I needed some additional “clouds”…
This was a pretty straight forward project, but I ran into some complications and consternation. The delightful thread cone holder I had purchased gives me tension problems and has made winding bobbins a huge pain in the ass.
What I’ve had to do is wind a bobbin from the cone – see that it is all fucked up, and then use that bobbin to wind a different bobbin. the second bobbin always comes out alright. I’m not wasting any thread, but I am wasting time. I’m going to go pick up some more bobbins and chat up my SEW Hut buddies for some tips…
Some closer details photos:
I just shipped this off to my good friend Diane this morning. I can’t wait for her to get it:)
Wee little Samson sent me some photos.
I didn’t work on my blanket project this weekend. I DID however get evicted from the dining room table. I moved some furniture around and THIS is going to be my new sewing area…
Friday after work I got a call from a buddy having trouble with his bike. Turns out he lives pretty close to SEW Hut and I needed some thread before starting my next project…
Off I went.
Now, I’ve become pretty friendly with a few of the staff at SEW Hut, but upon walking in I didn’t recognize anyone, AND about 15 ladies all started giving me the hairy eyeball. I had stepped off my bike and walked into the beginning of a quilt club session and I was definitely the one of these things that didn’t belong. Nonetheless, I nonchalantly walked over to the thread section and a friendly, but apprehensive, woman approached and asked “Can I help you?”. I’m pretty positive she didn’t expect me to say, yes, that I’m looking for polyester thread in larger spools for a fleecy baby blanket project. I think I got one set of blinks and after that Linda was all smiles and leading me over to a section of thread I had missed:)
Right about then Brian stepped out of the back and acknowledged me as someone who was not going to kill all the nice old ladies and everyone was very friendly after that.
The spools I got are 1000 meter spools of 100% poly #40 thread. I was using a much thinner thread previously and I think this will work much better for what I have in mind so of course I bought 4 spools – that equals about 2.5 MILES of thread:) Brian DID inform me however that I would need a different thread dispensing system, and when I turned down the offer to borrow their cone holder he told me a nice DIY way to rig up a cone holder with a cup, a pencil and a paperclip.
Another pleasant trip to SEW Hut done, I was off to help fix a bmw – and I was FANTASTIC;)