A little known fact about me is that I’m a large man (some might say “Viking” sized). However, I’m often cold. Which is odd because you’d think my rage would keep me warm (it doesn’t). I also have a dirty, rotten, blanket stealing wife…
I know I have to get moving on my third and final baby blanket, but I found myself thinking, “To hell with the little babies, I need something for myself!”
I’ve been setting aside older, ill-fitting t-shirts that I don’t wear, but can’t get rid of for a while now. And I don’t really need any more shirts (the ABC shirt just had too perfect of a logo for sewing). Solution? T-shirt blanket. BOOM.
This was certainly no masterpiece. I picked up a 10″x14″ (pre-cut) piece of acrylic at Home Depot and used it to cut all the designs out of my t-shirts. I then stitched them (a double layer of the design and back of shirt for a blanket 2 layers of fabric thick) together with a stretch-stitch and called it a day (almost a day – I also cut strips out of the scraps to make the blanket longer – it’s about 80″Lx44″W).
I put this together pretty fast – basically as fast as my machine would go;) It’s not perfect, but it is sturdy, and INCREDIBLY timely. Not 8 hours after I finished this I found myself loosing a tug-of-war with my sleeping wife over the blankets. No problem! I busted out my new blanket. BOOM BABY.
I’m not much for motorcycle clubs, but I do love the Airhead Beemer Club. It’s a club for vintage air-cooled beemers, and I’m fortunate that San Diego has a fantastic chapter with amazingly great members. I owe these guys a lot for the help they’ve given me over the past few years…
ANYWAY, I shrunk my Airhead t-shirt. (or I got fatter, shut up.) But I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of the shirt. Next best thing? Cut up the old shirt and sew the graphics onto a new shirt. BOOM BABY.
Got myself a $2 shirt from Joann’s, and carefully cut out the logos from the shrunk shirt and sewed them on the new one.
I took this opportunity to try a new stitch! a stretch zig zag.
This was a god dam fantastic idea. the shirt/logo combo retains its t-shirt stretchiness and I don’t have to worry about ripping the seams out:)
dirty couch pillows are a serious concern of mine. I know for a fact the dog drools on them, and I suspect she’s not the only one (cough*wife*cough cough). So I decided to make pillow covers for some pre-made 16’x16″ unfinished pillows I bought at Joann Fabrics…
I still have oodles of fleece left, and some ideas kicking around, and I came up with these yellow on yellow bubble minky pillow covers. they are very similar, so they match on the couch, but unique so I don’t get bored…
The first is just alternating stripes of fleece/minky with 3 buttons and a flap:
pillow #2 came about a week later and I played with using more scraps and trying some free-hand quilting of the fleece.
I think I over sew. I kind of do a double stitch. these pillows will never come apart…
I consider these a success! and the dog thinks they are adequate.
as Betsy Ross would say, "fuck this, I'm going home! I've got a burrito to eat and a quilt to finish"